Re: [NSW] Guards & Mobile phones

John MacCallum <johnmac@lisp.com.au> wrote in message
3925B815.714158C6@lisp.com.au">news:3925B815.714158C6@lisp.com.au...
> Nihonga wrote:
> >
> > Are there any rules regarding Gurads using mobile phones while
> > on duty?
> > The other night I got off a train and walked past the guard
> > trying to sell his car on his mobile.
> > As I work in the city I see how people behave while walking, or
> > driving, with mobile phones(they are all over the place.)
> > I'm sure there would have a be a safety issue involved.
> > Any comments?
> >
> Yes the Use of Mobile Phones is not to Interfere with Safe Working.
> In particular Shunting or where you need control of what you are doing
> and should not be distracted.
>
> The Rail Access Corp has deemed that it is part of a Train Crews
> normal duties to make use of a mobile phone provided it conforms
> with the above.
>
> On the Subjuct of the use of Mobile Phones from within a moving
> train I can offer some technical advice.
>
> You can certainly do it but don't expect it to work all the time
> since you are sitting inside a big steel tube.
>
> --
>
> Pope
>
> Alias John MacCallum

The overview by Pope is correct. There are no regulations prohibiting the
use of mobiles (as there are whilst driving a motor vehicle). However safety
must not be compromised.

The recent RAC safety alert No. 3/00, issued by Owen Henry (General Manager
Safety) on 1st May 00, deals specifically with this subject, and is partly
reproduced as follows:

"Safety Critical Work: Don't become distracted

Concerns have been raised regarding the safety of on-track employees and
others performing safety critical tasks who become distracted in their
duties by use of mobile phones or by other means.
<snip>
Handsignallers and "Lookout" employees
Staff involved in carrying out the duties of a Handsignaller or a lookout
must ensure their attention is focussed on the protection of the worksite,
and act under the instructions of the Worksite Supervisor. The work team
relies on the vigilance of those protecting the site. If the need arises to
use a mobile phone they must ensure the work site is protected - move to a
safe place before talking and remain in a safe place during the
conversation.

Communications between employees should be precise and to the point whilst
keeping attention focussed on the approach of trains and other safety
critical tasks.

Worksite Supervisors
Worksite Supervisors must ensure that employees under their control are made
aware of the dangers in being distracted by mobile phone conversations
whilst working on or about the running lines. All conversations if carried
out on and about the track must be carried out while the employee is
standing in a safe place.

Train Drivers, Signal Boxes & Train Control
Communication between the above groups or other external parties is quite
normal. However during these conversations consider the potential for these
conversations to distract from signal sighting, other indicators and
concentration on train management. These aspects are safety critical and
must not be compromised.
<snip>"

Hope this helps.
Regards,