Re: XPT terminated at sunshine

Me <matt@smart.net.au> wrote in message
8g31rg$p6b$1@perki.connect.com.au">news:8g31rg$p6b$1@perki.connect.com.au...
> Today's daylight Syd-Mel XPT was terminated at Sunshine according to GSR
at
> Spencer St due to a freight derailment at "Footscray", and the Overnight
> Mel - Syd XPT has been replaced by busses from Spencer St to Sunshine.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a Standard gauge platform at Sunshine? If so
> can an XPT fit on it?

Yes the platform at Sunshine is still in place but the SG waiting rooms were
removed. The platform was designated "out of service" about the time that
Sunshine loop was abolished.It was in place to facilitate passenger
transfers between the Overland and the Daylight [now XPT] which is no longer
possible, since the Overland goes via Brooklyn. It is a full length
platform, but has not received any maintenance for a long time, and the
surface is very rough and would put customers at some risk.

> Do Countrylink have (or can they get) facilities to clean, rewater, turn
> around an XPT at Sunshine?

Transfer the cleaners and their equipment from Spencer Street, and water the
train at Albury on the return trip.

> Does anyone know where the derailment is? It has to be farther than
> Tottenham as the Overland was still due at
> Spencer St at 7:45pm
> (Great timetabling GSR/Countrylink, Adelaide train arrives Melbourne at
> exactly the new departure time of the XPT)

not much better in Sydney either if you want to go on to Brisbane. You end
up on some windy cold suburban platform, because the train arrives in
Sydney, with insufficient time to transfer!
Almost as bad as break of gauge days, except at least the other train was
sitting in the opposite platform. Last June I stood at Strathfield, for 40
mins, as the XPT was delayed.
Rod Young
http://hobsonmodelrail.rrdepot.com/
Foundation President and Co-Founder
Hobsons Bay Model Railway Club Inc.
Operators of Australia's only 'Australian' Model Railway Show
Every Easter in Melbourne.
and my page
http://hobsonmodelrail.rrdepot.com/rods