Re: Section 61 >> Rail funding.

In article <o8m9isckqupsmiltq0htfgr8rmpm9lqa91@4ax.com> "< Tell >" <telljb@netozemail.com.au> writes:
>From: "< Tell >" <telljb@netozemail.com.au>
>Subject: Section 61 >> Rail funding.
>Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 15:33:08 +0930

>Re the federal budget thread and no railway funding
>along with my mention of the constitution, which Dave
>Proctor correctly shot me down on.
>To use a Rod Speed "speak" it was a "brain fart" on my
>part, the feds can of course make special grants
>available with the approval of parliament, which is
>what has happened over the years with standardisation
>just for example.

>However to move on, Vaughan mentioned s.96 of the
>constitution which ties federal funding to roads and
>how it does not apply to rail at this time.

>What would the position be if s.96 were applied to
>railways, would or could this apply to a private
>railway which actually owns the track.?
>
>----Tell
><< Remove net after @ for email reply. >>

Maybe Im missing something here,but exactly where does S96 say anything about
road funding.

This is Sect 96.
THE CONSTITUTION - CHAPTER IV SECT 96

Financial assistance to States

96. During a period of ten years after the establishment of the Commonwealth
and thereafter until the Parliament otherwise provides, the Parliament may
grant financial assistance to any State on such terms and conditions as the
Parliament thinks fit.

I dont see the word roads mentioned here at all,unless I have an old copy.

What is here though which is relevant is the second paragraph which is the
Parliament has the right to determine the terms under which funding will be
given.
Since currently ,funding is available only when significant rail reform has
been achieved,and the lack of rail reform can be blamed squarely on State Govt
inaction,its obvious why there isnt Federal funding.

MD