Re: (MELB) Weird Bayside happenings at South Yarra

trainman@ozemail.com.au (David Johnson) wrote in
<39255394.4C170369@ozemail.com.au>:

>Paul Nicholson wrote:
>
>> Bayside is obviously making a real effort to improve its revenue
>> protection but I feel the style of many of the personnel at Parliament
>> is somewhat heavy handed.
>>
>> I couldn't imagine the same style being used by either Ansett or
>> Qantas at Tullamarine.
>
>The difference is that plane passengers expect to have to pay their
>fare.  Train passengers expect their trip for free.

Most passengers are happy to pay their fare, in return for a good service.
If service levels drop, people feel compelled to break the rules and evade
the fare.

Compare it to a paddock. If there's a hole in a fence, the cow or sheep
will go through. Humans are the same (says a lot about humans!) - if it's
flawed and easy to evade without penalty, then evade away. (This mainly
applies to those that dont pay a fare regardless, but also to those who
grudge the system).

Michael