Re: Re: City Rail R and S sets

"Paul McCabe" <@> got bored on Wed, 17 May 2000 12:47:11 +1000 and so wrote the following:

          > > This may have already been brought up before.....I was wondering if
          there
          > > are any plans to refit 3809 and a few of the other cars which have
          sliding
          > > windows with the hoppers.
          I thought that cars refurbished prior to the CityCecker program (i.e. trial
          cars) would be redone by Goninan very soon - perhaps hopper windows will be
          retrofitted as part of this.

          > > There are a few Comengs with sealed windows -
          > > perhaps these are starting to replace some of the sliding windows?
          This is a sector 2 thing - I think car C3055 has a few fixed panes in
          replacing smashed or (more likely) kicked-out hopper frames.  You may also
          see older sliding windows in place of damaged hoppers (a number of C sets
          ran around like this recently).

C3742 (R39) updeck and C3009 (R40) vestibule has one of its windows sealed, and presumably the
hopper windows were broken and so they obviously couldn't find mroe hopper windows, so the sealed
ones go in, making it at least twice as hot in summer but OK in winter.