[NSW] 1979 ESR Automatic Ticketing

With the upcoming Airport line opening, does anyone remember anything
about the ESR magnetic ticketing system? In 1979, it was major
technological advance for the NSW Railways (PTC?).

I was only about 5 yrs old at the time, but I still remember the gates,
the ticket machines and being squashed to death on the opening day
trains with the souvenir magnetic ticket in hand!

Does anyone know:

1) Who installed the ESR ticketing system?

2) Why did it fall into "disrepair"?

3) When the system was removed?

As late as 1988/89 you could still buy the magnetic tickets, but the
gates were long out of action. I'm not sure when they removed the ESR
ticket machines at stations.

Jon Lau