Re: loco prices was re ropes creek branch

----------
In article <39211FF5.A2B01EE5@enet21.com.au>, chris <chris@enet21.com.au>
wrote:

>What would be the price for a SMR 10 class?
>Going further, any ideas on prices for narrow gauge locos, both steam
>and diesel?

A Victorian R class, close to running condition sold for $70 000 in the
early 90's. I think you would find that locos do not fetch huge prices
because there is a very limited scope for their operation, the costs of
maintenance are high and there are limitations on finding a base for this
type of equipment. While road going traction engines sell in Aus currently
up to $30-40k and 'only' weigh 10-20t, they are a far more manageable asset
for a private owner.
If a park engine in Victoria comes up for disposal at the moment they are
usually given away, the cost of transport and asbestos removal being the
killer costs.
There is a web site I have come across of a polish company that sells locos
out of Russia Etc. Very interesting, can't remember where I found it

Stuart Thyer
Photographer
University of Melbourne