Re: [NSW] Safe Shunting (was Cronulla)

Hi!

I don't know anything about trains, except that I've read a few postings
saying that the following is industrially incorrect.

I seem to recall that, in the days before the Waterfall electrification, a
suburban train terminating and stabling at Sutherland went through moves
like this (probably outside the regulations):
* arrive platform 2.  guard walks to back car.
* guard gives a bell and train draws forward on down main.
* guard drives train back to platform 1
* driver drives into up siding.

Now that AFULE/ARU demarcation disputes don't exist, why doesn't CityRail
* re-title guards as 'second persons' (as at Freight Corp)
* extend their driver training to cover shuting moves like this
* decide that ALL train movements will be with a driver or 'second person'
driving from the front.

This might provide an excuse for guards to exist on Millenium trains after
the Olympics?

Rgds