Re: Night photography

> From: mk@netstra.com.au (Michael Kurkowski)
> Newsgroups: aus.rail
> Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 11:31:29 GMT
> Subject: Re: Night photography
>
> I have only once taken time exposures using
> Kodachrome 64. It was crap.

I agree, funnily enough many fans seem to think K64 is the bees knees for
all photography including night shots. IMHO Kodachrome is the worst film for
night shots due to its inherent contrast, the shadow areas quickly turning
to pure black.

Regarding color casts, on Kodak's website there is a lot of info about
filters needed for various light sources. Years ago while working at Sth
Dynon I really got into this by buying the kodak wratten filter gels needed
to correct the light. I got some good shots but it required a big song and
dance.

I've found that for B&W work you need to pull development by about 20% to
keep contrast manageable. Unless of course you like no shadow detail like
the Kodachrome users!

Mark