Re: Night photography

Michael Kurkowski wrote:

> Once my video camera is fixed, future night chasing will be accompanied by
> a video camera and IR light. This way, it doesn't bother the drivers, but
> the video cameras CCD is IR sensitive. If anyone has done this before, let
> me know what sort of results you've had from this...

The Sony nightshot sheds reds causing a green cast over the image.  It can also
be very grainy.  I am in the process of making an IR spotlight to put in the 4
foot in front of trains to illuminate them in total darkness.

> Most, if not, all of my night photos are done as time exposures however. I
> get pretty good results from Fuji Sensia 100 which I use mostly, but I am
> in the process of trying out Kodak E100VS under a number of conditions
> (tripod landscapes at F22, normal daytime train photos, and as of last
> night time exposures at Dynon). I have only once taken time exposures using
> Kodachrome 64. It was crap.

I use 200 ASA film for all my photos regardless.  If it is dark, I use a
tripod.  I prefer to use f22 for time exposures whenever possible.

> http://www.netstra.com.au/~mk/scans/rch-derail-9.jpg
> Taken about 8 weeks ago on Fuji Superia 100 print film. This event was
> about the only exception to my rule of only taking photos on slide film (:

Suggestion:  When taking photos like this, while the shutter is open, keep a
hand above the lens shadowing it from the HPS lighting.  The large circle of
light in the centre near the top is caused by refraction in the lens.

One of my favourite time exposures was taken at about 01:00 in Grafton Yard when
all sensible gunzels were sleeping.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au