Re: loco 3802

Back to thew question.

The last 38 to be officially scrapped was 3818 in mid-1971.  It had
been used as a stationary boiler at the Homebush Abottoir since
withdrawal in late 1969 (it might have replaced 1308 on this duty).
Prior to going to Simsmetal, its tender (TAB 3805) was swapped over
with the one coupled to 3801 as TAB 3805 was in far better condition.

Attempts to save any other 38s?  Cardiff Workshops put up a decent
effort on 1967 for 3807 (the first locomotive constructed there) but
failed as the policy of the time was for one museum collection.

Hope this helps.

Brett

In article <390992E4.91B95D84@enet21.com.au>,
  "chris@enet21.com.au" <chris@enet21.com.au> wrote:
> ok
>
> James Brook wrote:
>
> > If you are referring to my post titled "3802, 3820, R711, R761",
take a look
> > at the message inside it. It was a joke, not an accident. :-)
> >
> > chris@enet21.com.au wrote:
> >
> > > Seeing somebody accidentally named 3802 instead of 3801 on tour in
> > > Victoria, does anybody know if there where attempts to save
additional
> > > 38 class locos in the late 1960's. When was the last 38 broken
up?, (not
> > > including 3813). I would have thought the streamlined locos would
have
> > > had preference over the others, but there is only one streamliner
plus 2
> > > complete non streamlined existing (plus one in a million pieces -
and
> > > just as many places).
> >
> > --
> > - James Brook -