Re: Surplus SRA stuff

I well remember some years ago when a large quantity of very important
records were disposed of by a government agency. When I found out and asked
if they were being destroyed could I take some of them to ensure their
survival. I was told that under the archives act they HAD to be destroyed!

I might add that there was nothing at all confidential about them, they were
maintenance records, but would have proved invaluable to steam preservation
groups. The archivist concerned did not know anything about the importance
of them to some groups, but assured me not to worry as a "representative"
sample had been selected at random.

I.E.: delve into the pile take out a few files out of thousands and shred
the rest.