Re: SRA/Countrylink Outback Explorer

In article <E0xR4.918$D9.692122@news0.optus.net.au>,
  "Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> <chris@enet21.com.au> wrote in message
> 391678AE.843241B1@enet21.com.au">news:391678AE.843241B1@enet21.com.au...
> > According to a article in the Sun Herald 7/5/00 on the withdrawn
Outback
> > Explorer, a Gail Gregory who is the countrylink general manager said
> > "Countrylink had been unable to replace the train in Australia and
the
> > cost was too high to bring one from England so it was taken out of
> > service".
Countrylink didn't marketet the train well was the problem.

> > I'm assuming that they were trying to buy 2nd hand BR stock - WHY?.
As I
> > would have thought that they would have tried a local manufacturer
first
> > if buying new.
There are some spare  MK2 ex-intercity stocks hanging around
UK,also "Euronight star " stocks (133 of them) currently unused and
owned by V/line!!!(National express) Can XPT power car hauls MK3
carriages??

> There is also all of those Overland cars not being used any more. An
AJ
> would be great to travel from SYD to BHQ - or better still, make it a
> through train to ADL, twice per week, to complement the IP and Ghan.
>
> Dave
WCR and Blue Bird got some left......WCR also have the locos, Blue bird
have some spare DMUs also but they didn't run properly in Victoria let
alone the dry and hot and lengthy Broken Hill line:-)

--
Cheers

James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/