Re: [SA/VIC] Daylight Overland

In article <BExR4.934$D9.713240@news0.optus.net.au>,
  "Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> "Grahame Ferguson" <grahamef@users.mcmedia.com.au> wrote in message
> 3916532a_1@news.chariot.net.au">news:3916532a_1@news.chariot.net.au...
>
> > Unless there are specials at finals time then Mr Ansett and Mr
QANTAS can
> > put aside extra space for advance reservations come August and
September.

> Not to mention Mr Virgin and Mr Impulse (oooh, an impulsive
virgin?????)
> when they expand onto that sector.
>
> Dave
There are ways Overland can survive without
Ansett/Qantas/Virgin/Impulse's influence,
One thing is metioned by Grahame: Overnight service with sleeper daily,
anything less then daily (except tourist service like Ghan or IP or
Savannahlander) is suicidal for train.

The best way on this corridor is actually twice daily service, one day
train and one overnight train.The reason is there are so many towns on
this corrior that have enough population to generate passengers but
aren't served properly. If the train is luxury enough or have some
potential to attract passengers(cheap fare or fast service), Overland
can survive with airlines or coaches.

Recently I heard Overland ads on Radio quite often, hopefully SA
government's tourist adverstiment that you always see in the cinama or
on TV can add some Overland part in it as current timetable is ideal
for Melbournian take a weekend break in Adelaide.

In the long term a though carriages service with Indian Pacific to
Perth might encourage some more patrons. (would thay market it as IP or
Overland??)

--
Cheers

James