Re: [SA/VIC] Daylight Overland

James C. wrote in message <8f2g9l$vio$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>In article <R5WQ4.43$Od2.3631@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net>,
>  "HXP1" <hxp1@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>> Chris Brownbill <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote in message
>> 3913AC0F.F9F87D9@enternet.com.au">news:3913AC0F.F9F87D9@enternet.com.au...
>>
>> > And that the last Eastbound Overnight Overland ran last night
>> (Fiday/Saturday).
>>
>> NR 87.
>>
>> Also the last run for Melbourne based GSR on-train staff.
>This timetable will save GSR from using RTS staffs maintenance train
>also.
>

>> --
>> HXP1
>> (now with v6.08 software)
>
>--
>Cheers
>
>James

The whole exercise appears to be a cost cutting one-
1. RTS do not have to be involved.
2. Only one Overland set is used.
3. The loss of Melbourne based GSR staff.

All the talk of improvement is just hype.  Backpackers for instance prefer
to use an overnight service as it gives them a place to sleep and they
travel at the same time, which saves them money.

If they were true to their publicity then there should be a daylight
Overland, so there would be no need for sleepers and you can cram more
passengers in an all sitter train and everybody could afford to travel coach
class.

If GSR were based in Melbourne then I am sure that they would have done the
same, so that again there would be a cost saving.

Getting late into Melbourne is not the best for all connections, rather if
the reverse were done then everybody could have connected with trains to all
parts of the state.  Getting late into Adelaide does not matter as much as
they only have a suburban train service.  you never have to worry about not
connecting with the down Pt Pirie passenger train anymore.  But then again
IP connections would not work.  If the IP ran (as has been promised for 10
years) on somedays via Melbourne then what is to worry about connections.

So the best solution might be to have a radically new innovation like an
overnight Overland in both directions.

Why do think that most Bus companies have more overnight than daylight
services.

This new arrangement certainly is not good for football fans in either
direction.

Unless there are specials at finals time then Mr Ansett and Mr QANTAS can
put aside extra space for advance reservations come August and September.

regards, Grahame.