Re: [NSW] New Southern Railway Timetable outlines

eikkert@my-deja.com wrote in message <8f2r07$ag1$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>What exactly is the mooted extra 8:02 train from Hurstville?
>It would have to be run on the local line since there's already an 8:02
>Cronulla service, and since there's an 8:00am all stops (probablky
>changed to 7:59 after the opening) this would mean two all stops trains
>in the space of three minutes. How does this reduce overcrowding?

The existing 08:00 ex Hurstville becomes a 07:52 ex Sutherland, stopping all
to Oatley, then Illawarra Line Hurstville (08:05), all to Kogarah, Wolli
Creek, Sydenham, Redfern to Bondi Junction.  This takes a bit of load off
the Cronulla / Waterfall trains at this time of the day.

The replacement 08:02 ex Hurstville stops all to Sydenham, then Redfern to
Circular Quay.  This train's previous trips are 06:26 Macarthur (via
Tempe) - Quay 07:29 - Hurstville.

It seems that the opening of the Airport Line and its limited junction
arrangements are tending to break down the rigid segregation of "Sector 1"
(Waterfall/Cronulla - Bondi Junction) and "Sector 2"
(Campbelltown/Bankstown - Quay) schedules.  This 08:02 ex Hurstville may
have been conceived, not as a service improvement, but rather as a way to
"get rid of" a train that can't run Airport - Quay - Airport.

In the evening, the 16:58 Bondi Junction to Hurstville returns to the city
for a 18:06 Quay - Airport - Macarthur (then runs empty all the way back to
Mortdale!).

>People
>will catch the 8:02 Cronulla limited stops service rather than the all
>stops. This will still be full.

There are some people who, given a choice of full fast trains and
comfortable slow trains will choose the first.  As a Kogarah traveller aged
considerably over 25, I'm quite happy to choose an all-stations train that
takes and extra five minutes and offers a window seat in the front car.
This gives me room to read the Sydney Boring Herald!

Rgds