Re: Extension to RVR opened!

Stuart Dix wrote:

> Two truck shays on the North Mt Lyell, off the shelf Baldwins on the
> My Lyell? BA cars modelled on Roundhouse pullman cars . . . . Climax
> locos in the Styx valley, disconnect logging trucks

All non TGR! ;-)  Though I do concede your general point.  :-)

> Stuart
> http://www.tased.edu.au/tasonline/railtas/
>
> >Unfortunately, since Tasmania did not go
> >through an "American" stage late last century like the rest of
> >Australia,

However I stand by my original statement regarding the "American"
influence in Tasmania, particularly with the TGR itself.

NSW had the Us, Ks, Os and Js, Pullman and end platform cars, 1890s BCWs
and BSVs, BDs and other "Yank" style vehicles as well as Deane era
infrastructure

Victoria had their American imports (VR enthusiasts please fill in the
class types!)

South Australia had the Os, Ns and end platform clerestory roof cars on
the Broad Gauge and the Xs on the Narrow.

Queensland had a number of early American imports as well, though I have
no idea what their classifications were.

I don't know much about WA.

However, despite the examples you quoted, the TGR in particular, stayed
loyal to the British influence until well into the 20th Century and
never acquired the equivalent of the items mentioned above.  One of the
attractions to me of modelling Tasmania is the delightful "Britishness"
of the TGR system until quite recently.

Actually, I must add to your list above the timber trestles on the west
coast, they were far more American in appearance than any of the NSW
trestles I am more familiar with!

--
DPC James McInerney

STOP!  In The Name Of The Lore!