Re: home signal

Maurie Daly wrote:

> There is from the other posts about this thread a huge variety of
> circumstances in which signals are defined as home signals ,and given the
> large range of differant signalling regimes in use in Australia ,I suspect
> that its not possible to accurately define what a home signal is.

A home signal is a signal that protects something.  Be that a set of points, a crossover, a level
crossing or whatever, it is always protected by a home signal.  If the signal does not protect
anything, it is not a home signal.  The only exception is a neutral zone (or shunting limit) which
is protected by an Outer Home or Accept signal, which is fitted with a prohibitive instruction
plate.

> It may be however,easier to define what a home signal isnt.
> How about this.
>
> A signal which can be passed at stop without any form of external authority is
> not a home signal,so therefore all signals which dont meet this criterion are
> home signals.
> I reckon this gets most of them.

No, not true.

--