Re: {HTML Posting} [NSW] Ads on T/G sets

mk@netstra.com.au (Michael Kurkowski) wrote in
<8F2BD49A7telstraNews@139.130.239.94>:

>(with much crappage snipped)
>
>Must you post in HTML?

The fact that he went to the trouble to state that he did might say
something about it.

> Not everyone's news reader supports it, and of those
>people I doubt many are willing to change over to an inferior piece of
>bloatware that co-incidentally supports it.

Uneducated posting of HTML is certainly frowned upon, see gnksa, but
Hubert clearly stated that he knew he was posting in HTML, and posted a
perfectly formatted multi-part message with a plain text alternative.  My
text based unix news reader striped away the HTML part and displayed the
plain text on my 30 year old terminal.

>HTML was designed for web pages,

The language was desinged for lots of things.

>not email or Usenet.

Have a read of some RFCs.  Ask Keary 8-).

It's a valid tool for people to use *appropriatly*.

> Posting crap in HTML
>is almost as bad as binaries on newsgroups, since it is a much larger
>waste of bandwidth.

If it was just *any* old crap sure. If you don't like it kill file it,
exclude it from downloading. The HTML tags are fairly distinctive. And of
course you mean binaries in non-binary newsgroups.

>How many lines of information was there? FYI, there were 277 and 293
>lines of wasted bandwidth, respectively.

Have a read of it, it would have compressed to zilch.