Re: "Just in Time" management

"Chris Brownbill" <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote in message
39117DFE.BD65959C@enternet.com.au">news:39117DFE.BD65959C@enternet.com.au...

> > JIT stock control as applied to railways would seem to indicate that
> > transport capacity is supplied to customers in the quantities they need
at
> > the time they need it. I can't see whats wrong with that.

JIT as I was taught was first devised and invented in the US. However, it
was
then taken refined and applied by the Japenese
(apparently this was quite common with Mgt Ideas).

An operation is broken down into logical steps/operations in the
supply/production
chain. Resources are then added to or taken away from each step until that
step
provids exactly the right amount of material flow to the next step with no
delay or minimum
lag time within the step if possible.

Therefore in the Huter Valley when one sees coal trains queued for
Port Waratah and Kooragang often for lenghty times in a sizeable queue say
Hanbury back to Maitland does that mean there is to much resources i.e
trains
used so some should be witdrawn from use ?