Re: [NSW] Toronto Station?

Between the Gosford-Newcastle electrification in 1984 (I think) and closure
in 1990 the Fassifern-Toronto line was served by a suburban electric train
from Newcastle and a diesel railcar from Toronto, terminating and connecting
nose to nose at Fassifern. The Newcastle-Fassifern train (at the time I
travelled) was a two car set of Sydney suburban non-aircon double deck cars.
The diesel train made one return journey from Fassifern to Toronto  - about
6km - each hour, which must be a world record for poor use of rolling stock.
This ridiculous arrangement was required because of the pathetic failure of
the rail authority to electrify the 3km Toronto line as part of the
Gosford-Newcastle project. This would probably have added no more than 1-2
per cent to the total cost. (Similar comments could be made about some other
obvious improvements which should logically have been done at that time - eg
Fassifern-Teralba deviation).
 The whole affair smells of 'make the service so bad that in another few
years people won't object if we cut it out altogether.' It took them six
years - I wouldn't be surprised if the extra cost of maintaining the double
service for that time would have been enough to do the electrification. A
pity - Toronto has quite a catchment area on Lake Macquarie and could easily
have supported a useful suburban service like that from Newcastle to
Maitland.
Geoff Dawson in Canberra