Re: Eveleigh Carriage Works

robson wrote:

> chris@enet21.com.au wrote:
> >
> > I think the best place (financially) for the  RTM would
> > be Eveleigh workshops, everything would be undercover,
> > and it is easy for the public and members to get
> > to. But other interests have laid claim to that area.
>
> A proposal is for housing to take over a large part of the site. Pity.
> It would have made an ideal heritage restoration and education centre.

One very major problem.   Insufficient space.   Far less than at
Thirlmere.

The public wish to get out of the City into "the country" for their Sunday
drives.   This was found when the Museum was located at industrial
Enfield.

As I understand it, the two main workshop buildings will be fully
restored, whilst the former CME's building will be sold off.   The former
Paint Shop will form the Transport Heritage Centre.   The other main
workshop building may be taken over by another large Museum as an annex
(depending on politics!)

Already, a major clean up of the area is under way.   I believe that rail
tracks were actually found under all the grass when removed!.

Any transport museum on site will obviously need to pick the eyes of of
the available selection.   Quality, not quantity.   There are other
collections that will show you the  differences between an FS & a BS
carriage, or between 3013 & 3026, 3801 & 3830, 5908 & 5910, etc..
Doubtless, there would be provision for an education centre within the
complex.

Heritage restoration of electric rolling stock is already taking place on
site under secure conditions.

Hunslet