Re: Tasrail, gardens and tourism

> They send their locos, why not their rolling stock from NZ as well?
Tranzrail purchased some ex-BR Intercity MarkII carriages (61 of them).
They will be replacing all the long distance services in New Zealand in
the next 2 years. That means Tranzrail will phase out all its
impressive panorama carriages(with end obervation lounge!!).They are
ideal for tourist service.

These carriages are reasonably comfortable and well refurbished but
much older then most of the Australian passenger rolling stocks as most
of them were made during 1st world war! I think Tranzrail have more
then 200 of them around, some are small window carriages haven't
refurbish .

I think the rail tracks in Tassy no longer suitable for fast passenger
service, it would have to be slower tourist service. I wish Tasmanian
government can provide some fund for upgrade rail tracks and stations,
provide rolling stocks and subsidise passenger service and run by ATN.

One other thing....Tranzrail usually won't provide any facilities
unless they have potential to make money, you won't even expect they
provide a station. There are lots of railway stations in New Zealand
are just a platform with small shelter, some are container!! New
Zealand biggest city, Auckland's railway station is 2 dirty looking
platform with ugly looking concrete shelter and small booking office
converted from 2 containers, they used to have a good station but were
sold to private developer years ago. Some town council fund to rebuild
staion building(Greymouth for example) to keep services attractive to
customers. I hope Tasmanian government can get involve with bringing
back passenger service.

--
Cheers
James