Re: Wallerawang-Gwabegar

Eddie Oliver wrote:

> David & Julie Donald wrote:
> >
> > The only sections that are open are:
> > Wallerawang - Kandos Cement Siding (traffic goes to Baal Bone Colly, Charbon
> > Colly, and the cement works);
>
> Depends how you define "open". You can theoretically run trains to
> Rylstone if you give sufficient notice - as has in fact been done not
> too long ago. Several movements have occurred as far as Kandos station.
>
> > We do know all about the plans to re-open the section between Kandos Cement
> > Siding and Gulgong, but have to wait and see what develops here.
>
> That's an unduly pessimistic statement. Work trains have been running
> over much (all?) of the out-of-use section.
>
> Eddue Oliver

On a recent trip (2 weeks ago) I noticed a lot of work in progress between Kandos
and Mudgee. One in every four sleepers have been replaced with a steel sleeper.
>From what I could see it seems as though every culvert is being replaced with one
of those corrugated steel pipes. The more substantial timber bridges are actually
being repaired rather than the usual practice of replacement with a concrete and
steel structure.
The sidings at Rylstone are no longer connected to the main although I did notice
a lever frame was still situated within the box on the station platform.
>From the amount of work happening on this line and the dull shine on the rails it
can be deduced that the line has seen some traffic over the last few months.

Paul.