Re: Crossing lights 'flashing too long'

It is simply for safety, that's why we have them, I believe they are a great
up ------unorganised
> he obviously has no idea what safety means and why it is practiced
> 5min that's no deal
> it shows there are some born wingers out there.
> just show what's going on in Tamworth amongst other things
>
> Tom Devrell
Gidday Tom,
                  actually up until recently, I would have agreed with you.
Here in Victoria, our crossings have been progressively improved, and now we
have eliminated most of these long delays to traffic. Our problem in Wodonga
is that NR trains round a 40 kph curve over High Street, and their trains
can be accommodated in new 1500 meter loops. Their long trains take a long
time to cross at 40 kph or less!
                   But as an example:.........At Benalla, on the up[Melb]
direction Passenger trains approach at 30 kph and can stop in the platform
without activating the booms. Freight Trains approach at 40 kph and the
booms lower when the train is part way down the platform.
                   If the Pass approaches too quickly, he also will activate
the booms, and when he stops the booms on a timer will quickly raise
automatically.
                   When the Pass gets right of way, he departs by
approaching the crossing at slow speed, the booms automatically activate in
time for him to safely proceed. [ if the crossing was at the very end of the
platform, a key would be positioned near the loco, and would be used to
activate the booms prior to departing.]
This new crossing [predictor] also saves time on open crossings, as a
computer chip tests the train speed, on the approach and slows the boom
activation down to match the speed of the train.
This is a great idea, as our trains travel from 65 kph to 130 kph! NSW
surely use a similar system, after all the xpt can do 160 kph there,

--

Rod Young
http://hobsonmodelrail.rrdepot.com/

390e9e78$0$31558@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:390e9e78$0$31558@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...