Re: Best Suburban/interurban train???

David Johnson wrote:

> "James C." wrote:
>
> > Then you got to try IMU, as far as suburban/interurban trains are
> > concerned, IMU ride quality is the best I expereinced(been a newer
> > train then "V" also influence),
>
> Also influenced by the fact that it runs on the best aligned track in
> Australia.  A V set on similar quality track would ride equally well.

> > relatively fast (140kph for the whole
> > Gold Coast rail stretch),
>
> The V sets are capable of this, but are limited by track quality.  A number of
> runs have been done at 140 km/h, but not in regular service.
>
> > more comofortable seats then most of the
> > interurban trains
>
> I disagree there.  The V set seats are far superior to those on the IMUs.

I have to agree with you there.

> > plus LED passenger information.
>
> Nice, but the V sets, being much older were built before this technology was
> available.

When you look at it, the first V sets were designed around 1968/70 they were at
the forefrount of emu design.  Over the years to 1989 the design was refined and
made even better.  Which goes to show you that good design is timeless.

What would have been interesting if a double deck country passenger car was
designed based upon the V set.  IMHO it would provide superior ride comfort to the
XPT. While providing a high passenger capacity, and flexiblity in configuration
eg. roomete sleeping on the lower deck and 1st class sitting on the upper deck.

> Choosing between V sets and IMUs, I feel the V sets would just win.

my $0.02

-greg.