Re: [NSW] Numbers on Signals

I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong but here goes:

Signals serving up tracks end in even numbers (and 0) while down tracks
end in odd numbers (much like most non suburban/NR trains) and many of
them (especially auto) are in the form of XX.X, where XX is the MILEAGE
(not KM) from Sydney and the .X is a fraction of a mile (approx) -
keeping in mind the odd/even things.

However, many newer signals and some old ones (especially at
interlockings) have a 2 letter code based on the name of the
interlocking or controlling signal box (for example SY for Sydney, ST
for Strathfield) and a number, again based on the odds/evens systems.

On mulitple lines (the Central - Strathfield section is a good
example), most controlled signals have the 2 letter code for the
interlocking/controlling box, followed by a 2 or 3 number code with the
odd/even thing then a letter based on the line (eg ST102M would
indicate a signal controlled by Strathfield box on the up main.)

If there is bi-di working (eg Waterfall-Wollongong) signals on the
normal wrong running direction have the letter U or D (for Up and down)
on them in addition to the normal odd/even numbering system.

Hope this helps

Eric
Visit my website
http://www.erk.au.com