Re: [NSW] Automated "Stand clear, doors closing"

David Johnson wrote:

> I lost 6 minutes between Bondi and Redfern in the afternoon peak.  The reason
> being that I press the "Doors Close" button when it is clear for the doors to
> close.  By the time it makes the announcement and has its delay, many passengers,
> ignoring the whistle and the announcements, start boarding the train.  This means
> that the Open button needs to be pressed to prevent them from getting caught in
> the doors.  This procedure repeats a number of times until you get lucky enough to
> close the doors safely.
>
> --
> David Johnson
> trainman@ozemail.com.au
> http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/
> ------------------------------------
> These comments are made in a private
> capacity and do not represent the
> official view of State Rail.
> C.O.W.S. Page 11.

I often catch a train that comes in on platform 17 at Central.  I want
to get to a train on platform 16, but usually the platform 16 train
comes in about 20 seconds before mine and the guard blows the whistle
just as our train is about to stop, and by the time our doors open the
doors on the other train are open.  Since there is a 10 minute gap
between trains is it any wonder that people try to get on after the
doors have started closing?

Why aren't the trains synchronized?  Surely it's not difficult to have
them both leave at the same time.  OK, maybe it takes an extra 20
seconds, but there arn't many stations where the trains pull in side
by side like that.

hugh
--
Hugh McGuinness               e-mail: hughm@lucent.com     _--_|\
Lucent Australia              Telephone: +61 2 9935 5555  /      \