Re: [NSW] CityRail Delays Friday

David Bennetts wrote:

> Why were trains from the city terminated at Lindfield when they could have
> gone through to Gordon?

It *could* be that the overhead section that was affected finishes between
Lindfield and Gordon, meaning that the power would have been off.

> Why is the Sydney System so fragile that a piece of loose wire at Warrawee
> causes chaos and confusion as far away as the western suburbs?

Same reason as a points failure at Campbelltown would cause trains at Canberra
to run late.  Through trains.

> Why is the internal communication system so clapped out that even station
> staff haven't a clue what is happening?

Probably because station staff are the last on the list to get information.
Operations would tell relevant signal boxes, who would in turn notify all the
stations in their area.  Operations would not need to notify, say Penrith Box,
so therefore, the stations between Penrith and St Marys don't get told.  Same
goes for the rest of the line.  Sydney box would know, because the North Shore
line is controlled by them, so I would suggest that Central and all stations
North thereof would have known where the trains were going.  Bring on the
Brisbane system where the controllers and station info is all in the one room
for the whole network.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au