Re: [VIC]Sprinter info!!

Craig Haber said in message <38DCC699.19B83508@harnessnet.com.au>, I
therefore quote:

>The way to sleep in an ACN (trust me, I do it every weekday) is to turn
>the opposite seat, put your newspaper on it, then put your feet on the
>newspaper, put your own seat all the way back, and adjacent one about
>3/4 of the way back, and sortof lean on the adjacent seat.  Works well,
>and if the driver is any good (ie, doesn't jolt you out of your seat at
>each station) you'll have uninterrupted sleep.......have been woken by
>the cleaners a few times at Spencer St, and by Connies at Geelong "hey
>this is your stop" :)  Good thing I don't catch the 15:40 ex
>Geelong.....I'd probably wake up in Traralgon every now and again.....

I must say that I will try that one, one day. I've made it a point to
travel to WNB at least once a year now (since I have done it for the last
two). If you are on an 'urban in NSW however, you do a similar thing, flip
the seat in front of you so it's facing you, take your shoes off and rest
your feet up. This works best in the single deck area toward the number 2
end of a power car (and I guess any single deck section of a T car). The
single deck area of the #2 end, is also good for being deafened by the
chopper whine (DJM/DKM cars).

OTOH, I've still not found a comfortable way to sleep in the XPT, other
than requesting allocation for a seat toward the end of the car when
booking, then sleeping in the crawl space behind your seat on the floor.

Does anyone know any other good XPT sleeping techniques? (-: [Assuming
first class]

>The AJ cars have great seats.  Of stock currently in service, the ACZ's
>are the best.  BRS's are good if there's nobody else in your
>compartment...turn the lights off and sleep across the bench seat....BS
>are much the same, but you can't turn the lights off :(
>Despite much travel, I can't sleep in H sets, but have managed to do so
>in Sprinters.

Yes, the 'bench' seats are nice. When I did steamfreight last year, I was
on the night listening stop train, just for the ride. At that moment I
discovered how well one could actually sleep across the seats on an BE car.

H sets are a slum. They should have been buried with the rest of the Harris
cars. Sprinters are average to sleep on. Don't try sleeping on a Comeng or
Shitachi though. I can only do it if i've been sadistic upon myself and
spent 10.5 prior hours on the XPT.

I could go on here, but I won't (:

Regards

Michael

--
Michael Kurkowski. / Email: mailto:mk@netstra.com.au
Rail Enthusiast.  / Web: http://www.netstra.com.au/~mk

 ** Don't steal. The government hates competition **