Re: Robina-Coolangatta extension "essential"

In article <8bh7nq$79c$1@nnrp1.deja.com> james_ccj@my-deja.com writes:
>From: james_ccj@my-deja.com
>Subject: Re: Robina-Coolangatta extension "essential"
>Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 02:19:49 GMT

>> Much as I would like to see a connection from Murwillumbah to
>Coolangatta I
>> think we are all dreaming.
>> Since 1923 when the VIC / NSW govts agreed to build the BG lines into
>> NSW,there hasnt been a single example of a State Govt building and
>>paying for
>> a line into another State.
>They didn't say NSW would foot the bill... Having SG line into Gold
>Coast would benifit  Qld as well, taking bloody heavy trucks off Pacific
>highway.

Well maybe Im missing something.
Exactly who do you suggest will be footing the bill.
It certainly wont be the Federal Govt who couldnt give a stuff how many
heavy trucks are on the highways,and who are completely getting out of rail in
this country.I
I would also be amazed to see the Queensland Govt funding a railway line in NSW
for NSW trains to run over.
Theres also not a shred of evidence to suggest that building a railway line
takes any trucks off the roads.
We have railway lines all the way from Melb to Brisbane but 80% of all the
traffic goes by road,and roads share is increasing daily,whilst rails share is
falling.
Its been like this since 1969 which was when road overtook rail on the entire
eastern seaboard.
To turn around rails continuing demise needs rail reform and the removal of
the plethora of State based regulations which apply to rail and not to road.
Sadly,progress in this area is a big fat ZERO.

cheers
MD