Re: [NSW] Observations this morning: 24/3/2000

Hubert Lam wrote:

> What's wrong now? Are they really that short on cars???

In my opinion CityRail has always been short of cars and the recent spate of accidents haven't helped:

- 2 Carriages (C3057 & D4051) damaged in the Hornsby Derailment in July '99 (not sure if they have
been returned to service)

- 2 or 3 Tangara carriages still out of action after the Concord West Accident of June '98.

- 1 Interurban Motor destroyed after Glenbrook collision in Dec '99.

In addition to this, up to 60 cars out of action for repairs or upgrades. (as reported by the Daily
Terrorgraph).

The soon to be opened of the New Southern Railway doesn't help the situation and last week's
cancellation of normal train services for the Jubilee event at Olympic Park tends to say that we don't
have enough carriages or crews to handle a "special event".

The previous government was extremely keen to dispose of loco hauled rolling stock and manual double
decker carriages, so there is no chance of extra services using loco hauled stock.

However, even if we did have more carriages, I'm not sure if the signaling in the Metro area could
handle the extra trains.

Jon Lau