Re: Robina-Coolangatta extension "essential"

There appears to be one obvious solution.

Sg through to Coolangatta airport for XPT and maybe some potential freight (somewhere for all the Victorians to have their furniture
 shipped to).
Terminating at the airport for the XPT also takes advantage of the facilities there, ie taxi, bus interchange, carparking, kiosk etc. You
 cannot tell me the airport owners wouldn't want 500+ people/day going through their terminal, even if it is for a train.

The line from the airport to Murwillimbah would also be dual guage with overhead at least to Tweed heads, but
 maybe further south (Murwillimbah), depends on demand. This would make the most possible efficent use
 of the line, especially if it was to go through the population centes as much as possible.

The reason why it will not happen, the QR trains would nearly outrun the XPT 140km/hr to 160km/hr on
 their skinny part of the dual guage. But if it was to happen, I bet there are 4 rails instead of 3, so there is
not arguments over the replacement of the third rail. Ie who does the most wear.

Shane