Re: Glenbrook train was travelling about 37kmh at time of crash: expert

In article <953754500.847693@clover.river.net.au>,
"Chris Parnell" <chris@infinisource.com> wrote:
> Why do we have to get experts from overseas to come here and
investigate
> what we do and tell us how to get it right; in particular, experts
from the
> UK?

It probably has something to do with the fact that they have over 150
years experience with independent investigations of railway accidents
and a well established process for review and development of railway
practices and procedures following prangs. It's called Her Majesty's
Inspectorate of Railways. Have a look at their web site sometime.

> I am not into Pommy bashing here, I just ask the question; do we not
have a
> sufficently well trained cadre of accident investigation experts in
this
> country?

I think that the short answer is NO. The longer answer probably involves
perception of independence and expertise. The recent establishment of
the Australian Transport Safety Board (or whatever its called) in the
federal Department of Transport could eventually fix this matter.

Keith G Malcolm

> I reckon we could do this ourselves; can we really become a republic
and
> continue to tug our forelocks to Mother England and her experts? Or is
this
> cultural inferiority burnt deep into our psyche?
>
> Chris Parnell

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.