Re: Tall tales (and true)

Paul wrote in message <01bf918f$47c050c0$d2d68ec6@mpx.mpx.com.au>...
>Anybody got any good "tall stories"

<snip>

There we were on the night shift at Darling Harbour and Pyrmont in the
1950's, riding the shunter's trucks and directing the crew of the 19 class
put and take trucks from all over the yard, including the wharf tracks. It
was a cold dark damp night and the yard lighting was on the murky side of
dim. Towards the end of the shift we had to shunt a loaded S truck onto
Pyrmont No 21. It was uncoupled and given a shove by the 19. It rolled onto
the wharf, when the shunter designated to apply the yard brake tripped on
some junk and fell over, thankfully clear of the wheels. The S truck rolled
on, and oh s**t over the stop block at the end of the wharf and into the
water.

Shunters, driver, fireman all gathered around the end of the wharf
unhappily. None of us could work out how to explain the disappearance of a
loaded S truck, or pass it off as a mere trifle. Nothing for it.... it was
reported to the SM's office.

Next day we gathered around the end of No 21 to watch the diver (rubber
suit, metal helmet, airlines, pumping gear, lead boots and all) who had been
sent to "ascertain the whereabouts" of the errant S truck. He descended all
bubbly into the oily murk which passed for water in Darling Harbour. He was
down for about 5 minutes when he reappeared. We helped haul him out and
opened the little window on his helmet.... well? we all asked did you find
it?

What number was your S truck?  he asked. Why the effing hell do you need to
know that? we replied. Well, he said I need to know the number to tell yours
from the other three which are down there.