Re: 86 Class

Greg Rudd wrote:

> John MacCallum wrote:
>
> > A directive from Freightcorp Management last week now places all
> > except four 86 class engines in storage.
> > I can't remember which four but I will find out.
> >

> Sad.
>

> > I hope that the looming oil crisis will make Freightcorp change its
> > mind about electric traction but I wouldn't hold my breath!
> > Pope
> >
> > Alias   John MacCallum
>
> Dont think so!  They will only change their minds if it effects this
> financial period's balance sheet as their management can only think this
> far in advance.
>
> Remember Freightcorp is preparing for privitisation and wants to close
> down Lithgow maintainence centre and make Lithgow a fueling point only,
> so as to improve the sale price to overseas purchasers.
>
> -greg

So if they close down Lithgow, who is going to maintain all the 81s, 80s,
remaining electrics, and other locos attached to Lithgow.  As far as I am
aware, and a few other people should be able to back this up is that
Freightcorp's intention is to have only two maintenance facilities. Lithgow
and Werris Creek. DELEC has basically closed, so has Port Kembla, only
leaving Lithgow and Port Kembla.

Stuart Ellis