Re: [Vic] Fast (160km/h) Train to country Vic.

----------
In article <38D617AC.B4E8D82F@enternet.com.au>, Chris Brownbill
<cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote:

>The claims made are that the journey times from Melbourne to Provincial cities
>will be speeded up as follows:
>
>Geelong from  1hr 5m to 45m
>Ballarat from 1hr 30m to 1hr 0m
>Bendigo from 1hr 50m to 1hr 20m
>Traralgon from unstated to 'under 2hr'.

I can see where you can make the time up relatively easily on the Geelong,
Bendigo and Traralgon lines, they are all well graded double lines and with
some track upgrading they could all take 160 kph running. The Ballarat line
however is of a cheaper construction and has a large number of reduced speed
curves and a small number of crossing loops. Unless the governemt throws
money at realignment of the line in a number of places (which makes the bill
grow) then 1hr is but a dream.

Stuart Thyer
Photographer
University of Melbourne