Re: [Melb] Steamrail trip failure (L class)

David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
6lgB4.345$p53.515175@news0.optus.net.au">news:6lgB4.345$p53.515175@news0.optus.net.au...
> Yuri (steam5me@dingoblue.net.au) won a Nobel Prize for literature by
writing:
> > On 19 Mar 2000 22:48:05 GMT, cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au (Christopher_Martin
> > GORDON) wrote, and I selectively quote:

> > >(They had many options including leaving the L
> > >behind and just running the K and 5 cars)

> > I thought that there was no runaround track available on weekends at
> > Lilydale that would have allowed the K to run around the train and hence
> > running just the K and 5 cars (and that's why the train was marshalled
in
> > push-pull mode).

> Tender first running is somewhat restrictive anyway. That's why SHRC put
> 10CM on the up end when J515 wan to Lilydale some years back.

You can run around at Lilydale via a crossover at the down end if No. 2
Platform.

But because of the way the 'intensive' train service operates, a down spark
arrives just before an up leaves, meaning that platforming is tight.
Running round means entering the single line section, which is only
available in short slots.  So running around at Lilydale is next to
impossible during normal train running hours without disrupting the normal
service.  (Fudging the regular service for nut specials used to be possible
before the PSR, but not now).

Now for one of my pet topics, the Lilydale Derails:

I've now mostly worked out how they are interlocked with the Up Departure
Homes.

If a Derail is off at the Down end of No. 1 Road, then the Up Departure off
No. 2 Road is secured at Stop.  And vice versa for the Derail off the end of
No. 2 Road and the Up Departure off No. 1 Road.  But you can have the Derail
off the end of say No. 2 Road, and pull off the Up Departure Home out of No.
2 Road, and also pull off the Down Home into No. 2 Road.  The only control
I'm not certain about is if the Derail is off on No. 1 Road, can you signal
a down move into No. 2 Road?

Have I lost you yet?  If so, good.

http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord/trains/signalling/lilydale/index.html is
pictures/diagrams at CG's site.