Re: New Melbourne trains & trams - Local content

Yes,
I think this is more or less what was going to happen anyway (does
anyone know more precisely?). And yes, it includes maintenance (did NX
ever seriously consider sending trains back to europe for maintenance?)

Its not quite as bad as 100% construction being done over there. The
VLP trains are being made here, though most of the parts I think are
coming from Europe. And theyre going to take a boat load of parts over
there to build the other ones (which is what they said they were going
to do in the first place). So there are few if any concessions from the
operators coming out of the saga.

Geoff Leigh, the opposition spokesperson, was on the radio ranting
about how Bracks should use some of either the surplus or the
ficticious "savings" from privatisation in order to bribe NX to make
the trains here. Not only would this be irresponsible, since this
privatisation has already proven an expensive exercise and there are,
interestingly enough, needs of the Victorian taxpayer besides trains.
The hypocrisy is breathtaking given that only six months ago Mr Leigh
and his friends were in government and indeed were responsible for the
present situation arising in the first place.

Of course, that doesn't excuse the present government's failure to fix
it. If they really leant on NX and the other operators, they could have
gotten much more local content (ie, bring parts from europe if you
must, but build the trains here, or we will send you broke)

Vaughan

In article <38D0C13D.85D7BD8F@enternet.com.au>,
Chris Brownbill <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote:
> On the news tonight and on ABC site
> http://www.abc.net.au/news/state/vic/metvic-16mar2000-20.htm its
claimed that
> the Vic govt has done a deal with National Express which will see at
least 42%
> of construction and maintenance of the new V/Line trains, Bayside
trains and
> Swanston trams awarded to Australian companies.
>
> Well rot my socks if this doesn't mean that 58% will be imported. And
note that
> it includes maintenance. So, is it not logical to conclude that this
could mean
> 100% of construction will be done overseas and 100% of maintenance
will be local
> giving the required 42% local content by dollar value.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.