Re: (Syd) Airport Station ticket prices

Greg Cantori wrote:

> I had a letter published in the local paper a few weeks ago, asking
> CitiRail for an explanation as to why ticket prices for the new
> Airport stations are much higher than tickets elsewhere. There has
> been no repsonse so far.
>
> Aren't these just ordinary new stations? Why will a weekly ticket
> between Sutherland and the International terminal cost $34, when
> a weekly from Sutherland to the city only costs $27?  How are
> these prices suppose to encourage people who drive to work at
> the airport (and there are thousands of them) to leave their
> cars at home and catch trains?

Simply, the government built the line, but private sector built the stations.
For the private sector to get their money back, they charge extra to enter or
exit through their station.  For one-off trips, the surcharge is in the order of
$1 for Green Square and Mascot, and $6 for the airport.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au