Re: fast trains

> The Bendigo line has some serious curves and is mostly up hill, or so
it
> seems when you are on a Y Class with 149 tonnes behind

Uphill is less of an issue than tight curves

>  [grins... 8-) ] But the Bacchus Marsh to Ballan section needs to
climb
> several hundred meters whilst traversing an old glacier formed river
valley
> some 16 kms wide!

(details snipped)

The only part of that section that I'd suggest realigning is the
ridiculous deviation to the south after the marsh - It'd need a bridge,
probably.

A few other curves could be straightened somewhat (as well as shortened
distance-wise) with the odd short tunnel or cutting.

The other place where the line should be straightened and shortened is
the bit where it wanders off in a big semicircle to wallace and
bungaree (to avoid a hill, I think). Like on the bendigo line - either
go over the hill or through it or some combination.

And that National have agreed to provide  $1 billion+ worth
> of Trains, and generate a specific increase in Patronage for a fixed
period
> of time!

Not quite.

National are effectively buying these trains with public money. Its
built into their subsidies.

Their impressive-sounding patronage increase targets are rhubarb as the
subsidies are not conditional upon their attainment - in other words,
NX are under no obligation whatsoever to achieve them. History suggests
they are most unlikely to do so (see National Bus).

 The Government did not purchase anything...nor did they sell
> anything, they just leased the system out for a few years, and at the
end
> can take it back if they so desire... am I not right?

Sort of,
as part of the deal, NX is effectively buying new trains with public
money which the government resumes ownership over at the end of the
franchise period.

> Vaughan, I am not being a smart arse, debunking you on every
question, but
> things are not as easy as chalk and cheese. Rail Transport Companies
have
> the Coroner leaning heavy ,all the time. When he comes down on us it
affects
> the whole Industry. (safety ranting snipped)

Does SA still have dual gauge track? DO they have speed restrictions on
said track? Have they ever had a brake block fall between the tracks?
In fact, has this ever happened anywhere? (These are not entirely
rhetorical, as I actually don't know in some cases)

Should we restrict all trains everywhere to 40 km/hr just in case a UFO
might suddenly land on the track in front of them?

Vaughan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.