Re: Melbourne's grey white trams

Chris Brownbill wrote:

> I finally saw one the other day - and they look OK but unspectacular.  The thing
> that bothered me most, and should have all self respecting anal-retentive
> gunzels up in arms is that apart from very small stickers at the top of the
> drivers windows they have no indication of road numbers.  The trams are
> anonymous!  This breaks a long tradition and in my opinion is a mistake which
> should be rectified.

Surely it's also illegal? Trams do not require a numberplate like other
road vehicles, but they do need to have an identifying fleet number.
This is a requirement all round the world where trams run (I know of no
place where they need a car-style numberplate, which even buses do, but
they do all have a fleet number).

Or are you talking about the depot run numbers which used to be black on
yellow on a card on the windscreen, ie GH 59 or P 78  ?

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand