Re: Customers prefer their greight to travel via Rail as compared to Trucks

I work in market research and if you know the the results want your
client wants to get you could frame the question to suit.

For example if your want people to say 'send freight on rail' you
change the preamble to say "Semi-trailer truck cause $xxx millions of
dollars of damage to Australia's roads every year - do you believe that
freight should be shipped by rail instead?'

If you want to support the trucking cause you could say "in order for
the railways to successfully compete against free-enterprise truck
drivers an additional subsidy of $xxx million of dollars would have to
be paid by taxpayers - do you believe that the small business men who
drive Australia's trucks should be allowed to carry and freight that
they choose?

You are basically asking the same question but I guarantee a 180 degree
different result.

WHEN ever you see a poll you should also see the question that went
with it ask AND WHO paid for the research.

Richard Hay

****

In article <uptw4.3993$vW.10422@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
  "Brian Evans (IOM)" <bevans@omni.com.au> wrote:
> Snipped from the national rail web site under news news.
>
> ". A new opinion survey, conducted for the ARA (the Australasian
Railway
> Association Inc), shows strong support for rail. Urban and rural
people
> across Australia overwhelmingly prefer freight to be moved on trains
rather
> than trucks (more than 80%), and support more investment in rail
> infrastructure (around 90%). The poll, which debunks the myth that
there are
> no votes in rail, was undertaken in October by Australia's most
reliable
> pollster, Newspoll. It was a repeat of a 1998 survey of community
attitudes
> to key issues in freight transport, with 1999 results even more
emphatically
> supportive of rail than for the 1998 survey. Take a closer a look if
you can
> at the ARA's excellent WebSite at http://www.ara.net.au."
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Regards,