How Freight Victoria was "Jeffed" over Webb Dock

Guys,

pasted from www.ara.net.au

Some thoughts included.

"Terminals and Ports Access"

>Rail connections into major dock facilities are critical to Australia's
international competitiveness.  Melbourne's Webb Dock,
>for example, presently has no rail link even though it is being enlarged to
cater for vastly increased growth, arising in part >from the relocation of
upstream port facilities.

The Webb Dock Rail siding project needs to be moved forward quicker by the
now Victorian Labour Government. I ponder at a possible devaluation of the
port of Melbourne since these facilities are no longer in place.  The
removal of the Swanston Dock sidings is also a stark example of poor
planning and lack of accountability by Government.  Where are the people who
made these decisions and authorised the work?  What if similiar errors of
the same magnitude where made in directors circles of Publicly listed
companies, where would those directors be now? Would they still hold office?

>The lack of a rail link to Webb Dock is in stark contrast to other
Australian capitals, except Darwin, and most other major
>cities around the world.  Overseas, cities such as Los Angeles and
Rotterdam are upgrading the rail links to their ports
>because of the importance of these links to their export competitiveness.

Victoria definately needed more accountable government during the Kennett
reign. Again, who was making these decisions? Where are these people now?
What is on public record? How could a decision have been passed to disable
rail access to the largest port facility in the Southern Hemisphere? Who was
Kennett working for?

>The lack of a standard gauge connection from the interstate main line to
the port of Geelong or any of that City's industries
>prevents interstate rail operators from taking advantage of the many rail
freight opportunities in the region.  Connecting
>Geelong to capital cities and other major interstate centres would enable
rail operators to take advantage of the many rail
>freight opportunities in petroleum, retail, agricultural, cars, glass and
aluminium in the area.

Futther, I believe many of the petroleum sidings in the western suburbs were
also decommisioned during the Kennett Destruction years. Why would Petroleum
companies now move back to rail with these sidings removed and large
investments in trucking operations?  What is the killer application in
inticing these customers back to rail?

I read an article in the Herald Sun Newspaper last week (approx. 1 march 00)
which quoted the new Victorian Liberal party transport minister. The article
mentioned the ministers unhappy view of Labours rail investment and
elaborated on how monies committed where less that what was needed.  This
serious made me angry and in some ways I was bemused.  I cannot for the life
of me (Yuri may remember since I believe I read it on his web site some
onths back) the complete LACK of committment to rail by the Kennett
government. For the liverals to now speak on what should happen with rail in
Victoria would be the biggest joke of all time.

As I said, food for thought.

Regards,
Brian Evans