Re: INDIAN PACIFIC

<38c23ca1.7405782@news.powerup.com.au>...

> >I wonder what the price will be after Virgin Airlines starts!!!
> >
> >10 years ago Compass Airlines helped bury the Intercapital Daylight.
>
> There will still be a market for the Indian Pacific, but the market
will
> change (slightly). There will still be tourists willing to pay the
rates
> they charge for First Class for a service that is not really worth
what you
> pay. Holiday Class will still be utilised by people who wish to see
> something on the way.

Hmmm, Dave, seems to me  you don't like GSR very much!

I rekon 1st class is good enough. Don't forget GSR recieve NO subsidy
at all nor owns any locomotives and rail tracks(unlike the
Queenslander), it has very high operational cost. I have nothing
against with what they did to IP and Ghan. GSR did attract lots of
people who never traveled by train before. 1st class accomadation is OK
as far as I know.

> I foresee Peasant Class either dying or being somewhat upgraded to
comprise
> some lounge and dining facilities. After all, there will still be
people who
> want to see some of the countryside while on their way.
Coach class fare should always be competitive with "backpacker" buses.
I understand 65 hours without any streching space can be hell. Maybe a
simple lounge serving food and beverage would be ok? or let Coach class
passengers share Holiday class lounge?

--
Cheers

James