Log traffic

I have been told that Freight Victoria / Freight Australia (whatever their
official name is these days) plans to operate Broad Gauge log trains on the
currently disused Heywood - Mount Gambier line.  The proposal seems to be that
the log traffic will originate at Rennick, which is essentially the first siding
on the Victorian side of the border (my understanding is that Victoria only owns
the line to the border, and the remainder into Mount Gambier is owned by South
Australia - this is the same situation with the Ouyen - Pinnaroo line, and
explains, to some extent, why Victoria now only goes to Panitya), be transported
on the BG to Heywood, then transferred to SG wagons for the short trip to
Portland.
Whilst it does seem to be a rather expensive, and inefficient, method of moving
this produce, I wonder whether there is more behind this proposal than really
meets the eye.  Certainly, it does seem to indicate an intent by FV/FA to expand
services, as well as a way of trying to keep competitors out of the area.

Can anyone add further to this issue ??

--

Regards

David Donald