Re: Multi gauge trains - was [NSW] Strange rails at Hurstville

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000 04:46:35 GMT, "Fred Morley"
<fredendi@iprimus.com.au> wrote:

>An Australian Engineer designed an axle that would change with the width of
>track.He offerd it to the Australian States but they wern't interested in it
>,so he sold it to Germany.I don't know if they used it ,because it was just
>before the Second world war.One of our teachers at High school was telling
>about it as he said he knew the engineer,This way back in 1945/6.Never heard
>anymore about it.

Another short-lived example was with the Leeds tramways in Yorkshire
before WW1. A through service was operated across a break of gauge
between Leeds and Bradford using adjustable axles and a short
transitional track.

Don Galt