Re: Mind the Curve!

"Brian Dunn" <bdunn@pcug.org.au> wrote:

> The poms (bless their 'earts) have "Mind the Gap". Melbourne had "Mind the
> Curve!" in the days of cable trams when the brake man attached or detached
> cars as they went into curves.

My father was regular Melbourne cable tram traveller in his younger
days and had many stories about travelling on them.   When I showed
him the "Mind The Curve" book when it first came out, he maintained
that he rarely heard "Mind the curve".... the warning cry he clearly
recalled was "Hang on going 'round the curve".

My uncles (from my mothers side) also related similar warning calls
but substituting "Hold on" or "Hold tight" for "Hang on", but always
having "going 'round the curve" at the end.

Cheers,

Bill