[NSW] Run numbers and rolling stock

something that David Johnson posted in reply to one of my earlier
questions:

so is there a specific pattern of run numbers that can be distinguished
from
> 1. the rolling stock originating sector (i.e. run 130 previously was a C set, now what remains of it
> in the May 21 timetable is an R set from Hornsby)

Yes.

100 series run numbers are 6 car sets.

Sector 1:
Runs 1-6 = 8T
>snip<
Runs 101-108 = 6R

Sector 2:
>snip<
Runs 120-133 = 6R/C

Sector 3:
Runs 60-73 = 8T
Runs 74-99 = 8K/S
Runs 141-154 = 6R
--------------------------------

Here are some more questions in the lead up to the info provided by
Dave:

1. Sector 1 has 8 runs based on R sets. Does that mean there are only 8
R sets (R1-R8) around sector 1 or are there spare R sets from Mortdale?

2.  Sector 3 has 14 runs based on 8 car-T sets (which effectively means
if all T sets are used counting up from T70 then T99 would be the only
spare set). I've heard somewhere about G set being considered as the
same class as T sets--so what is the approximate number of spare G sets
around the place or are G20-33 in full use at all times?

(see www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~mdoyle for T and G set numbers)

3. Runs 141-154 (sector 3)  shows 14 R set runs, which means from R30
counting up, R43 would be the last R set used (hence theoretically
spares are R44, R45 and R46). I know that at least one of these sets run
into sector 2, so which one is it? And of the remaining 2 sets, are they
just kept spare for the whole day?

4. Sector 2's 14 R/C set runs (120-133) have 8 C sets in there (goes
from C1-C9 but minus one 8-car C set). So theoretically there are 6 R
sets that are from Flemington (R10-15? or is it R11-16?). In practice,
do all of the C sets get used or is one set kept spare (or
vice-versa--are there spare R sets in sector 2 for that matter of fact?)

5. Which run is the 6.09pm Hornsby to Epping "track cleaner"?

6. What was known as "Run 130" with the previous timetable (i.e. from
sector 2, the "guaranteed C set run") has now gone back to sector 3
hands of getting their R set. Which run number does this now have?

7. If say a 4-car T set roams into another sector in a timetabled
movement (e.g. Carlingford --> City Circle --> Bankstown --> Blacktown),
it should have a sector 3 T set run number (i.e. 60-73, A or B). What
about that R set from sector 3 that STAYS in sector 2 (I think a part of
the run involves going to Liverpool via Regent's Park at around 4pm)?
What run number might it be?

8. For the Hornsby --> Strathfield --> City --> Gosford via Shore runs,
what run number does it get? What is your guess of the percentage of
time that an 8-car G set actually get allocated to do this type of run?
Sometimes I have seen 8-car T sets do these trips and that would spell
sore bums for some passengers that travel all the way to Gosford/Wyong.
What run number might this get?

9. For off-peak "almost guaranteed" G set runs, do they share the same
run numbers as the 8 car T sets (60-73)? (in terms of run numbers do the
off-peak "almost guaranteed" G set runs come into a class of their own?)

thx very much for your answers.