Re: [NSW] Gauntlet Track

Eddie Oliver <eoliver@efs.mq.edu.au> wrote in message
394E096E.A8AE9DE5@efs.mq.edu.au">news:394E096E.A8AE9DE5@efs.mq.edu.au...
> It is really a misrepresentation to label the weighbridges as "gauntlet
> track" in the normal sense, since that entails NO pointwork; in the
> weighbridge cases, there IS pointwork to select whether a train goes
> over the "weigh" rails or the "non-weigh" rails.
>
> Eddie

I'm not sure if pointwork really is the distinguishing factor here. I think
the weighbridges are gauntlet track for the mere fact that the two tracks
laterally (not a spelling error) "overlap" each other. If lack of pointwork
was the distinguishing factor, then the North Geelong - Gheringhap line
would have to be called a Gauntlet, rather than Dual Gauge. This is because
there are no moving blades where the gauges combine/split. The gauge of the
train determines which way the train goes. If you wanted to get REALLY
pedantic, you could say the old Peterborough triple gauge was actually a
combination dual gauge (1067/1435mm and 1067/1600mm) and gauntlet track
(1435/1600mm) but let's not get into that!!!

--
Matt Smith
Brisbane Australia.

Reply to mattyq1009@dingoblue.net.au